Address

Contact Info:
Elder Logan G. Payne
C/O Iowa Des Moines Mission
8515 Douglas Ave#19
Urbandale, Iowa 50322-2924
email: logan.payne@myldsmail.com

Monday, September 28, 2015

Week Nine 9-28-15


Well I have been in Iowa for over 6 weeks and tomorrow is my 2 month mark... Wow time has flown by. It is crazy. It has been a very interesting week here with not much stories to tell. We didn't have our P-day (preparation day) on Monday, we spent it out working. Instead our P-day was on Wednesday and had a great day then. We went to the temple with my district (so that was my third time going to the temple in Iowa, I know some missionaries that are about to go home that have only been Twice....) It was great to spend the time in the temple and be with such great people. After we hung out for a bit until the other elders went to go Frisbee golfing. So while they went and did that Elder Hamelin and I joined the sisters and went to Carthage.
That was an amazing experience being in Carthage and just feeling the emotions in the jail. For those who may not know, Carthage jail is where the prophet Joseph Smith, and his brother Hyrum were killed. The last time I was in that building was 10 years ago and I have never been able to forget the emotions and spirit of the place. It was great to be able to walk those rooms again and to feel the spirit in the room as it testified that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God. He was willing to go Carthage, knowing that he would die, just because he would not deny that which he knew was true. I am thankful for all that he, and all the church leaders since have done and sacrificed so that I could have sure knowledge and peace in my life.
The rest of the week was hard because Elder Hamelin got sick so it was hard to go door to door. but we powered through and talked with a lot of people. In fact we found a new investigator that is really amazing and just has minor things to over come and he can enter the waters of baptism. In addition we do have one of our investigators who will be baptized on the 11th and it is so great to see as he has come unto Christ!!
Also this week has had some interesting side parts. First was that I called the cops for the first time in my life. I saw a man run from a cop car and then he went one way and the car another, so I called in to report that as a bunch of little kids are hollering at us because we were missionaries. It was stressful because I didn't know what I was doing but I figured I needed to call so I was trying to figure out what to do. As I was on the phone a bunch of little kids started yelling that they were atheist and just trying to give the missionaries grief because they saw it as being cool. I know most of them don't even fully understand the things they said as they started to use such harsh language and continued to scream that they were atheist. It was sad because they didn't know that I was on the phone trying to keep their neighborhood safe but they just can't see past the name tag. A lot of people get set in their ways and are filled with disgust and hatred. It is sad to me that these kids were raised this way and knew no better. As you serve you grow to love everyone and you are saddened when you see people whose harts are harden. It not only effects them but their kids as well. I think of the Lamanites in the Book of Mormon. They were raised in hatred by their parents and thus they hated the Nephites. They were raised in their fathers traditions and so they were a cursed and wicked people in most of the Book of Mormon. So my commitment to all of you is to mind the little ones, they look up to you. So do your best to make their lives filled with love. Please don't let them be filled with hate, because it does them no good.
Also great news for the week. I have received a digital picture frame thanks to a loving mother! So I can now receive pictures of all of you wonderful people and your lives! And then I can see each of your faces daily! thank you so much!!!
With all the Love
Elder Payne
Looking through bullet hole
Window Joseph fell out of












Door with no knob